Trademark 101: choose a good business or product name and TM registration explained
How can you create the most value in your brand? Start by choosing a great company or product name, then check to make sure no one else is already using it. Plus learn why a federal trademark registration could help your business.
(Be sure to listen to Episode 5 first for an overview of the different kinds of IP; Episode 6 builds on Episode 5).
- What kinds of brand and company names make the best trademarks? Fanciful, arbitrary, suggestive, descriptive and generic marks explained.
- How can you search to see if a trademark is already being used?
- Is checking for domain name availability good enough as a trademark search?
- When does it make sense to register a trademark?
- How does the federal trademark registration process work? Do you need to hire an attorney?
- How long does a trademark registration last?
- Should you use the ™ and ® symbols?
KEY TAKEAWAY: One of the easiest legal protections you can DIY is a thorough trademark search to be sure you’re not infringing anyone else’s rights, and are building value in a brand you can actually protect.
This podcast is information, not legal advice specific to your situation.
Sign up below for two downloads this week! “Trademark 101” and “How to choose a great name for your business or product” (plus be the first to know when new episodes are live).
"How to choose a great
business / product name"
AND RECEIVE PODCAST UPDATES!