Collaborating with a guest expert for your online course is a great way to provide incredible value to your students. But mapping out (in writing!) things like who’s doing what, and how the expert is compensated is crucial to preventing a guest expert collaboration from going south.
In this episode you’ll learn the important questions to ask when you’re collaborating with a guest expert in your online course:
- What type of collaboration is this? – Is your guest expert contributing material for a single lesson, creating the course with you 50/50?
- Who’s earning what? – Is your guest expert paid a percentage of sales, a flat fee, or something else? Or is your guest expert paying you in exchange for exposure?
- Who is paying the expenses? – Who pays the invoice from your graphic designer, videographer, etc.?
- Who is responsible for marketing? – Is your guest expert required to send emails to their list, do a FB live, etc. to promote your launch?
- What happens if it falls apart?
- Who owns the intellectual property? – Is your collaborator allowed to create a spin-off live event from the online course or is that not allowed?
- Do you need a nondisclosure agreement? – Are you lifting the curtain on your business’s secret sauce?
Key takeaway: Guest experts can make a great addition to your online course, but asking some key questions and agreeing to terms in writing can help you ensure the collaboration is a success.
BONUS: Head over to www.awbfirm.com/course for instant access to our brand new, free masterclass, 3 Legal Protections Your Course Business is Probably Missing, and our legal checklist for course creators (plus you’ll be the first to know when new episodes are live).
Legal Road Map® Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/legalroadmap
This podcast is information, not legal advice specific to your situation.