Podcast S3E49 FB Live 61 contractors for virtual or multi location business
Working with a virtual team is a great way to grow your business, but how do you make sure you are properly working with remote contractors?
In this week’s Facebook Live video and podcast episode I begin to cover this important topic, touching on:
– How W-2 employee vs. 1099 independent contractor affects your business’s taxes and regulations you must comply with
– The biggest factor that determines who is or isn’t an employee
– What to be sure you include in your contracts with contractors
– Who owns the intellectual property created by an independent contractor
– The downside of including a non-compete clause in a contract (tip: this isn’t the same in every state!)
Key takeaway: It can be tricky to make sure you’re working correctly with a virtual or remote independent contractor. This is an area where you definitely want to consult with a trusted attorney to avoid major fines and penalties from getting it wrong.
This podcast is information, not legal advice specific to your situation.