Legal Road Map® Podcast S4E99 FB Live 97 Legal for Course Creators: Copyrights
Learn what copyrights can protect, when you should register them, and the benefits EARLY copyright registration provides.
In this episode we’ll cover:
- The types of content that can be protected by copyrights
- Why facts and ideas aren’t protectable by copyrights (and what you actually can protect instead)
- Why the automatic protection provided by U.S. copyright law isn’t as great as it sounds
- The extra benefits of registering your copyrights, and registering them early
- Who owns the copyrights when you create a work as an employee, or an independent contractor
- Who can use the © symbol, and how you should be using it the right way
- What type of business should hire a copyright attorney to register their copyright, and who can probably DIY the process
- Who can use © and how you should be using it
Key takeaway: Copyright protections are automatic under US law, but you can’t enforce them without taking the time to file a registration. Best practice for your online course is to register them early!
Visit awbfirm.com/podcast99 for show notes.
BONUS: get your hands on our FREE resource to help you write your contracts: The 5 terms I think every contract should include: www.awbfirm.com/5terms
U.S. Copyright Office: www.copyright.govwww.copyright.gov
Legal Road Map® podcast, episode 8 on fair use: awbfirm.com/podcast8
Contract template store: awbfirm.com/contract-templates
Legal Road Map® to Protect Your Online Course contract template bundle: onlinecourselegal.com/yes
Legal Road Map® Facebook group: facebook.com/groups/legalroadmap
Worried about the legal blindspots that may be lurking in your business? The AWB Firm can help! Clients love our Legal Road Map® session. One of our experienced attorneys will take a one-hour deep-dive into your business and provide you with a report of recommended steps personalized for your business. And you’ll be confident you’re not missing anything essential now, and you’ll learn what you might need to do later. For more info or to book your Legal Road Map® session, visit https://awbfirm.com/legal-road-map-session
This podcast is information, not legal advice specific to your situation.