Building a beautiful website and creating compelling content takes time and resources (financial or otherwise). And when you’re just getting started, you may be short on both.
It’s tempting to just “borrow” a bit here and there and hope no one notices.
But the consequences can be severe… not to mention potentially devastating to your business.
So what’s allowed and what isn’t when it comes to using other people’s images, video, music, or other intellectual property, and what best practices should you follow?
In this episode, we’ll cover:
- How using an image from a Google search without permission can become anextremely expensive mistake
- How getting permission to use someone’s image might be a lot easier than you think
- Why it’s risky to rely on “fair use” as a justification for copying or borrowing someone else’s content
- The ways that copying another business’s emails, website copy, or social media captions can really damage your reputation
- Why it’s super important to do a trademark search (you can DIY this!) BEFORE you choose and start using a brand or product name in your business.
BONUS: Worried you’ll make one of the mistakes mentioned in today’s episode? We’ve got you covered. Our guide to using other people’s content has you covered. Access your free copy below.
Legal Road Map® podcast Episode 71 - How to do your own TM search:www.awbfirm.com/podcast71
Example of how easy asking permission can be:
This podcast is information, not legal advice specific to your situation.