Operating a location-independent or online business may mean you have to register in other states where you are doing business. But what constitutes “doing business” in another state? And what could be the consequences of not registering as a foreign entity?
In this episode I cover:
- Why registering as a foreign entity could apply to online businesses as well as location-independent businesses
- What constitutes “doing business” in another state
- The tricky nuances of having independent contractors in other states
- Why failing to register in the appropriate state could prevent you from being able to file suit
- The consequences of not registering as a foreign entity in states where you do business
Key takeaway: Fifty states can mean 50 different answers when it comes to doing business in a state outside your own. Seeking the advice of a trusted lawyer can prevent a legal nightmare for your location-independent business.
Sign up below to get a free 5 Minute Intellectual Property Audit. You’ll learn how you can make more money from the copyrights and trademarks in your business (you can also sign up there to be the first to know when new episodes are live and receive other legal updates and special offers from the AWB Firm).
This podcast is information, not legal advice specific to your situation.