Copyrights, trademarks, and patents, oh my! What intellectual property does your creative business own that’s worth protecting? This primer will help you identify what’s valuable in your business and how you can protect and make money with IP registrations.
- Copyrights: protect creative works
- Trademarks: protect brands, company names, logos
- Patents: protect inventions, processes, manufactured designs
- Trade secrets: protect things you keep secret and give you a competitive advantage
- Right of publicity: protects use of your name or likeness (images where your face is
KEY TAKEAWAY: If it’s valuable to your business, it’s worth protecting. If someone copied your content or started a business with a similar name, would you (or your business income) be devastated? Then it’s worth investing in legal protections for your IP.
Sign up below for a cheat sheet about what copyrights, trademarks, and patents protect and how they’re different (plus be the first to know when new episodes are live).
This podcast is information not legal advice specific to your situation.