Having virtual team members classified as employees can carry complex legal considerations. This week I’m joined by our resident labor and employment whiz Michelle Coakley to talk about what you need to know to make sure your business is protected legally when it comes to having employees on your virtual team.
In this episode I cover:
- The importance of properly classifying your workers
- Two reasons why the government cares how you classify your workers
- Best practice for how often you should audit your employment policy to check for federal and state & local compliance
- Why you should be sure to do regular performance reviews
- What you need to know about non-disclosure and non-compete agreements
Key takeaway: Employment laws and ordinances can vary widely not only from state to state, but in some cases city to city. It’s important to seek out the right kind of advisors (legal, financial, human resources, etc.) to make sure your business is protected when it comes to employment matters.
Episode 12: Hiring employees and contractors the right way(with FREE download)
Episode 37: Labor & employment chat with AWB Attorney Michelle Coakley
Sign up below to get a free 5 Minute Intellectual Property Audit. You’ll learn how you can make more money from the copyrights and trademarks in your business (you can also sign up there to be the first to know when new episodes are live and receive other legal updates and special offers from the AWB Firm).
This podcast is information, not legal advice specific to your situation.