Are you thinking about selling or taking an investor for your business?
While we hope if you're thinking about selling, it's so that you can retire to the Maldives, whether for good or bad reasons, selling a business can be a stressful process. But a little planning and preparation now can make for smooth sailing when the moment to sell (or invite investment) arrives.
In this episode we cover the three main types of transactions and considerations for each:
- What are the assets and liabilities in your business?
- An asset sale - and why this can be more complicated than other types of transactions
- A stock or membership sale - and possible pitfalls
- A merger - and why getting a CPA or tax expert involved early is crucial when considering a merger
- Why it’s important to understand what your business actually owns before you start negotiating a transaction or investment (and a free resource to help with this!)
Key takeaway: There are many ways to structure a sale or investment transaction. Figuring out what assets and liabilities your business owns with a trusted legal and financial advisor can help you make sure you’re not leaving anything on the table.
Sign up below to get a free 5 Minute Intellectual Property Audit. You’ll learn how you can make more money from the copyrights and trademarks in your business (you can also sign up there to be the first to know when new episodes are live and receive other legal updates and special offers from the AWB Firm).
This podcast is information, not legal advice specific to your situation.