How can you create the most value in your brand? Start by choosing a great company or product name, then check to make sure no one else is already using it. Plus learn why a federal trademark registration could help your business.
- What kinds of brand and company names make the best trademarks? Fanciful, arbitrary, suggestive, descriptive and generic marks explained.
- How can you search to see if a trademark is already being used?
- Is checking for domain name availability good enough as a trademark search?
- When does it make sense to register a trademark?
- How does the federal trademark registration process work? Do you need to hire an attorney?
- How long does a trademark registration last?
- Should you use the ™ and ® symbols?
KEY TAKEAWAY: One of the easiest legal protections you can DIY is a thorough trademark search to be sure you’re not infringing anyone else’s rights, and are building value in a brand you can actually protect.
Sign up below for a Trademark 101 guide and cheat sheet to help you choose a great business or product name (plus be the first to know when new episodes are live).
This podcast is information not legal advice specific to your situation.