Registering a trademark is a lengthy, multi-step process, and it can be tempting to skip the first step of running a trademark search before filing that registration application. But I’m sharing all the reasons why skipping the search is a bad idea.
In this episode you’ll learn:
- What a trademark clearance search is and why you should do one every time you choose a name for a new business, product, or service
- How you may be able to DIY your clearance search
- When you still may be able to use a business or product name even if it’s already being used by someone else
- How a knockout search helps determine what (if any) risks you may face if you apply to register your trademark with the USPTO
- Why it’s so important to look at trademarks used for products and services that you don’t sell, but are related to what you sell, in a knockout search
- What a search will tell you about how strong your trademark is, and how hard it will be to defend it if you do receive a trademark registration certificate
Key takeaway: Whether you start the trademark search process on your own, or work with a lawyer from the very beginning, one thing is for sure: failing to spend a little time and/or money on a trademark search early can be costly down the road.
Sign up below to get a free 5 Minute Intellectual Property Audit worksheet. You’ll learn how you can make more money from the copyrights and trademarks in your business (you can also sign up there to be the first to know when new episodes are live and receive other legal updates and special offers from the AWB Firm).
This podcast is information, not legal advice specific to your situation.