As a creative business owner, at some point, you will probably find someone has copied your best stuff or started a business or product with a very similar name as yours. Learn how to respond when this happens to protect your business and brand.
(Be sure to listen to Episode 5 first for an overview of the different kinds of IP; Episode 11 builds on Episode 5).
- What steps can you take to avoid someone copying you?
- What evidence should you keep in your files if you find you’ve been copied?
- How can you get someone to stop copying you without a lawyer?
- What is a DMCA takedown notice and how can this help you stop copycats?
- When should you consider hiring a lawyer?
- What is the process for filing an infringement lawsuit and what does it cost?
KEY TAKEAWAY: Protecting your rights from copycats may be easier than you think, many people don’t know how the laws work and often a gentle heads up and request that they stop will work wonders.
Sign up below for swipe copy you can use to write your own cease and desist letter to send to a copycat (plus be the first to know when new episodes are live).
This podcast is information not legal advice specific to your situation.